Campus Recreation Flag Football is open to all Loyalist College students and will run on the Upper Field Wednesday nights under the lights in the Fall semester. Pinnies, flags, and all other equipment is provided. While this is a pick-up/drop-in activity, there are a number of rules participants are required to follow:
START DATE: September 13, 2017
WHEN: Wednesdays @ 8 pm
WHERE: The Upper Field
GAME SPECIFIC RULES:
- A coin-toss will determine first possession
- The offensive team takes possession of the ball at their 5-yard line (the top of the keeper box on the indoor turf) and has a total of 5 plays to make it down the field (no downs are required)
- Teams can play with a maximum of 11 persons on the field.
- One defender will count 5 steamboats LOUDLY after which he can rush the QB; the rusher may not hit the QB’s arm or knock the ball from the QB’s hand – the rusher must play the flags.
- Play is over if a defender removes 1 flag from the flag-belt of the ball carrier; the ball is spotted where the carrier’s feet were when the flag was pulled, not where the ball is. Spinning is allowed, but players cannot leave their feet to avoid a defensive player (no diving). Also, there are no fumbles – the ball is ‘dead’ where it hits the ground.
- THIS IS A NO CONTACT ACTIVITY! Tackling, elbowing, cheap shots, blocking, etc., will not be tolerated
- A defensive penalty will result in the offense being granted a full 5 more plays from where the last play began. An offensive penalty will result in the loss of a play
- A touchdown counts as full 7 points; a safety is worth 2 points
- Flags must be worn on each side of the player’s hips and be fully visible and accessible (shirts must be tucked in or belts must be worn on the hips on the outside of jackets); there will be a complete change of possession penalty for anyone deliberately altering their flags to prevent removal. Players are not permitted to knock defenders’ hands away to prevent their flags being pulled.
- No jewelry (rings, bracelets, necklaces, etc), ball caps or glasses (except prescription); mouth guards are recommended for safety in case of accidental collisions or falls.
- Cleats are NOT permitted; regular closed-toe/closed-heel athletic footwear required.
- As with all Campus Recreation events and activities, there is absolutely no fighting allowed – fights will result in the individuals involved being ejected from all Campus Recreation events.
- Any discrepancies must be directed to the Campus Recreation Staff in a respectful way – their decision is final
- Alcohol consumption & cigarette smoking is prohibited on or near the field; failure to comply will result in the infringing individual(s) being ejected from the premises. Players suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or other drugs will not be permitted to play.
- Look after the field you play on and the facility you play in; please make sure there is no garbage left behind and the grounds are as they were found
- Treat all players on your team and other teams with the utmost respect.